Thursday, April 19, 2007

American Football

I know that not many of you would agree that American Football should be called a 'sport', because you see nothing more than absolute lunacy. Human behemoths weighing 300 pounds crashing into each other would not do much to change your conviction about the game. And until last March, my notion was not any different.

When Mani (as my brother is fondly referred by me!!) came back from the US, with an almost-egg-shaped-but-much-bigger ball in his bag, I was not too thrilled. I was more interested in the cricket-like Baseball, with the gloves on and throwing the ball at full force. Mani introduced the Football (meaning American Football for the rest of the passage) and explained the basic rules of the game. Thus started my tryst with football.

But why do they call it football, when they carry it in their hands?? Doesnt make sense?? The ball is exactly one foot in length, giving it the name 'foot'ball. Makes sense now?? Mani, having had prior experience in 'throwing the pigskin' (thats how throwing the ball is referred), was doing the 20 yard passes easily, while I was toiling hard just to throw it at him, standing 5 feet away. A 'perfect throw' makes the ball spiral on its longitudinal axis, creating an illusionary effect akin to a missile.

If you thought the entire game was centered on the ball-carrier trying to manoeuvre his way to the endzone, you are mistaken. Other than the ball-carrier or the Running Back (in NFL jargon), there will be a Quarterback (who sometimes turns into the ball-carrier) trying to find the right receiver to throw the ball, the Line Backers blocking the defense team from crossing the receiver's path, the Tight Ends required to play the dual roles of blocking the defense and catching passes from the Quarterback, and the Receivers, the highly agile athletes, running at lightning speeds to see a 70-yard pass from the Quarterback fall into their arms like a baby.


It was not long before I was hooked on to throwing the pigskin, making beautiful 20-yard passes (my apartment parking space did not allow me to throw it any further). Mani and I spent many an evenings throwing it faster and faster, till our shoulders can take no more. The sight of the football spiralling towards me and the hard 'thud' as it crashed into my arms are unforgettable moments.

One of the highlights of my US trip was the NFL Game between Minnesota Vikings and NY Jets at the Humphrey Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis. The indoor stadium was brimming full with 64,000 NFL fans. The atmosphere was electric. I was vociferously supporting for the host Vikings and the game was off to a great start with the Vikings making a touchdown within minutes. Inspite of increased vocal support for the hosts, the Jets took complete control since then and went on to win the game 26-13. The experience tempted me to book tickets for another match in New York (where I was visiting) the following week. But due to lack of time, I withstood the temptation. But it was not before I filled my bag with 2 NFL t-shirts and a couple of NFL memorablia, that I flew back home.

The Super Bowl ended fittingly with Peyton Manning helping the Colts win the championship, the only distinction which he was yet to achieve. The NFL 2007 season calender is out and am looking forward to it, with my arms outstretched!!!

No comments: